• Grove City 7, Gen. McLane 0 –– At Edinboro, Grove City right-hander Lizzie Malczak manufactured a perfect game, whiffing 13. She has struck out 110 hitters this season, Coach Dave Gatewood reported.
Also for Grove City (8-3), Morgan Shingledecker doubled twice, Kelly McClearn mustered 2 hits and 3 RBI, and Courtney Saylor stroked 2 hits.
• Jamestown 9, Hickory 6 –– Despite the host Hornets out-hitting Jamestown 16-6, it was not enough. Jamestown assumed a 9-2 lead before Hickory rallied for 4 runs in the 7th stanza.
Avery Micchia mustered 3 hits, as did Autumn Black, while Ella Holland, Sarah Cardamon, Carlie Miller, Madison Grace and Morgan Huey had multiple hits for Hickory. Cardamon collected 2 RBI and Black and Holland 1 apiece. Moundsman Micchia went the distance (141 pitches, 84 strikes), striking out 6 and walking 5.
Madison Hilliard hurled 6 2/3 innings (102 pitches), striking out 7, before K.Blanchard recorded the final out for Jamestown. Camille Engstrom singled and doubled for the Lady Muskies and Kelci Matters muscled 2 hits and knocked in 3 runs.
• Corry 3, Sharon 1 –– At Wengler Field, host Sharon stranded runners in scoring position in 5 of the 7 stanzas of the Region 5 affair, Coach Chad McCombs reported.
Corry’s Megan Dennis and Sharon’s Maddy Berkson both fired complete-game 4-hitters. Dennis whiffed 6 and walked 5; Berkson fanned 5 and walked 3. For Corry (6-4), Hope Hasbrouck hammered an RBI-single in the 5th and a solo shot in the 7th; Emily Sonntag slammed another solo shot, and Davia Fisher doubled.
For Sharon (1-1, 1-8), Berkson belted a solo shot among her 3 hits and Jordan Murphy singled.
• Hickory 10, Sharpsville 1 — Nick Osborne tossed a complete-game 5-hitter as the Hickory High baseball team posted a 10-1 win over Sharpsville Monday afternoon.
At Kevin S. Yarabinec Memorial Field, sophomore right-hander Osborne allowed just 1 unearned run, struck out 7 and did not issue a base on balls. He required just 72 pitches (56 strikes) in going the distance.
Also for Hickory, Cam Whalen went 2-for-4 with 2 RBIs, Clay Wiesen and Andrew Gay each collected a pair of hits and drove in runs, and Asher Patton, Jorge Leedham, and Osborne also collected hits for the Hornets (5-1). One of Wiesen’s hits was a double. Gay scored 3 runs and Wiesen and David Greenburg a pair apiece.
Hickory harvested a 4-run 3rd, then added a singleton in the 4th, 2 tallies in the 5th, and a trio in the 6th stanza.
Jared Trontel, Eric Lenzi, Joe Bornes, Kaleb Gorichky and Cam Williams stroked safeties for Sharpsville. Lenzi, Bornes and Gorichky drilled doubles for the Blue Devils. Bornes was credited with the lone ribbie.
Jared Leipheimer, Eric Lenzi, Williams and Brock Lenzi took turns on the mound. Only 6 of the runs they collectively surrendered were earned, as the Blue Devils committed 4 miscues.
Sharpsville stranded 6 base runners; Hickory, 5, and the visiting Hornets committed just 1 error.
• Lakeview 10, Greenville 0 (5 inn.) –– At Packard Park, Greenville, the visiting Sailors’ Jared Obreza shut out the Trojans. He whiffed 2.
Trent Milliren, Clay Williams and J.P. MaGee had multiple hits for Lakeview (8-2). Milliren drove in 3 runs and tallied twice, Nate McIntire plated a pair, and one of Williams’ hits was a double. Milliren and Kendall Crocker tallied twice.
• Wilmington 9, Sharon 1 –– At Johnny Pepe Field, Timmy Lewis tossed 5 innings of 2-hit ball, walking 3 and fanning 5. Also for Wilmington (9-1), Nathanial Luu led the Hounds with a 3-for-4, 4- RBI plate performance, Cam Marett and Jaret Boyer banged 2 hits apiece, with Boyer plating a pair, and Ethan Susen doubled.
Sharon starter Frank Shaffer struck out 3, walked 3 in 5 2/3 innings, yielding just 2 earned runs.
• Rocky Grove 10, Reynolds 1 –– At Rocky Grove, the host Orioles’ offensive outburst included a 5-run 4th frame. Andrew Herman and Garrett Erford had Reynolds’ lone hits. Dom Bertolasio, Haden Obenrader and Erford pitched. Erford fanned 4.
• Sharon 5, Sharpsville 4 — Victory for Sharon High’s baseball team is spelled with the letter “V” – as in Voytik.
Lane Voytik launched a 1-out, walk-off solo shot Friday afternoon as the host Tigers triumphed, 5-4, over Sharpsville in a District 10 inter-region rivalry.
At Johnny Pepe Field in a Good Friday matinee, the visiting Blue Devils – down to their last out – no sooner erased a 3-run deficit, squaring the slate at 4.
Then Voytik vanquished the Blue Devils.
It was a disappointing defeat for the Blue Devils (5-5), given their great rally in the 7th stanza.
Kaleb Gorichky garnered a 2-out, 2-run, opposite-field triple, knotting the count at 4. A Sharon miscue, Jared Trontel’s base hit, and Eric Lenzi’s run-scoring double set the table for Gorichky.
• Sharon 5, Grove City 0 –– At Grove City, the visiting Tigers triumphed on straight-sets singles wins from Zach and Jake Cattron, and Ben Baron and doubles duos Ty Chartraw-Nick Hunchuk and Will Stigliano-Justin Stanek.
Singles: Z.Cattron (S) def. Levi Aldstadt, 6-1 6-3; Baron (S) def. Jimmy MNicholas , 6-3, 6-2, J.Cattron (S) def. Nathanial Collins, 6-0, 6-2. Doubles: Chartraw-Hunchuk (S) def. Rick Blackburn-Nick Arnold, 7-5, 7-5; Stigliano-Stanek (S) def. Eric Baumgartner-Daniel Gerwick, 6-1, 6-3.
TRACK & FIELD
• The Hickory High track and field teams were in action on Saturday at the Rock Relays High School Invitational at Slippery Rock University.
Brock Grundy, who won the discus and placed 2nd in the shot put at Thursday’s Butler Golden Tornado Invitational, captured both the discus (176-6) and shot put (57-1 1/2) on Saturday at SRU.
C.J. Nagle finished 1st in the high jump at 6 feet, 1 inch.
Earning 3rd-place finishes were Alexander Fustos in the pole vault (12-0) and Kyle McDonough in the 400-meter dash (53.71).
Braedon Allen finished 5th in the 300-meter hurdles (43.35).
Cole Frazier took 7th in both the 800-meter run (2:04.91) and 3200 (10:32.0). Hunter Stoots also earned a 7th-place finish in the 100-meter dash (11.58).
Tommy Hunyadi placed 8th in the 3200-meter run (10:54.16).
For the girls, Kate Brown finished 1st in the pole vault with a height of 10 feet.
Molly Piso was 2nd in the discus (126-6) and the 4x1 relay finished 2nd in a time of 51.70. Team members were Aniyah Anderson, Kayla Saylor, Kylie Thompson and Kaitlyn O’Kresik.
Hanna Wilcox placed 3rd in the high jump (4-10), Anderson took 4th in the 300 hurdles (50.09) and O’Kresik finished 4th in the 100-meter dash (13.09).
Anderson placed 6th in the 100-meter hurdles (16.39), O’Kresik was 6th in the 200-meter dash (26.66) and Alyssa Rollinson finished in 8th place in the javelin (91-10).
• Grove City 127, Commodore Perry 23 –– Conner McEwen (high, intermediate hurdles), Nick Murawski (100-, 200-meter dashes), Cael McEwen (800-, 1600-meter runs) and Nick Smither (shot, disc, javelin) eased Coach Ben English’s Eagles to victory. Murawski and McEwen also were part of the winning 4x1 relay foursome; Luke Owrey ran on the 4x8 and 4x4 relays, while Ryan Locktosh (400) lent a leg to the mile-relay quartet.
Grove City girls defeated Commodore Perry, 138-11. No individual results were submitted.
• Coach J.R. McFarland’s Hounds’ teams participated in Thursday’s 55th annual Butler Golden Tornado Invitational.
Conner Vass-Gal placed 1st in the shot put (60-8) and took 5th in the discus (146-10). Josh Sanders placed 6th in both the shot (48-6) and discus (141-5). Also, Danny Hanssen finished 8th in the javelin (150-9).
Grace Mason led the Lady Hounds. She was 2nd in the 800 in a time of 2:18.83, which broke the school record she set earlier this season (2:20.2). She also ran on the 5th-place 4x8 relay team (10:13.1) and the 7th-place 4x4 relay (4:11.42).
The other members of the 4x8 team were Elise Hilton, Lena Welker and Becka Book. Book, Leah Hickman, Mason and Welker made up the 4x4 foursome.
Also, Hickman placed 7th in the pole vault (9-1) and Aleah Deal finished 7th in the shot put (32-8).
• Farrell’s Christian Lewis placed 5th in the 100-meter dash (11.21) and 8th in the 200 (23.0).
• Sharon’s Noah Weese finished 3rd in the javelin (161-10).
• Lakeview’s Michaela Rose took 3rd in the 100 (12.91) and 5th in the 200 (26.20).
• Slippery Rock’s Maryann Ackerman won the javelin title (134-9). Emma McDermott was 2nd in the long jump (17-4) and 8th in the triple jump (34-10). Also for the Lady Rockets, Anna Kadlubek finished 3rd in the 200 (25.89) and 6th in the 100 (13.14).
• Butler swept the team titles on Thursday. The boys had 65 points while Grove City was 2nd with 64. The Butler girls had 81 points to cop the crown. The highest finishing area girls team was Slippery Rock (10th, 28 points).
• Grove City’s Jonah Powell captured the 800 (1:54.10) and 1600 (4:17.81) and was also part of the Eagles’ 1st-place 1600-meter relay team (3:25.84).
GC’s Nick Smither placed 2nd in the javelin (175-0), Connor McEwen took 3rd in both the 110 hurdles (14.99) and 300 hurdles (40.11) and Nick Murawski was 3rd in the 400 (49.92) and 6th in the 200 (22.75).
BOYS TRACK & FIELD
GROVE CITY 127.
COMMODORE PERRY 23
3200 relay–Grove City (Jones, Owrey, Nichols, Powell) 9:05.88; 110 hurdles–Con. McEwen (GC) 16.24; 100–Murawski (GC) 11.73; 1600–Cael McEwen (GC) 4:51.52; 400–Locktosh (GC) 54.90; 400 relay–Grove City (Reddick, Murawski, Con. McEwen, Dadzaa) 46.73; 300 hurdles–Con. McEwen (GC) 45.80; 800–Cael McEwen (GC) 2:07.70; 200–Murawski (GC) 24.72; 3200–Somora (GC) 11:02.74; 1600 relay–Grove City (Owrey, Reddick, Amodei, Locktosh) 3:51.24; Shot put–Smither (GC) 41-9 1/2; Discus–Smither (GC) 131-0; Javelin–Smither (GC) 165-8; Long jump–Toman (CP) 18-10; Triple jump–Muhammad (GC) 38-6 1/2; High jump–Dreves (GC) 5-8; Pole vault–Hall (GC) 11-0.