As part of a nutrition program through the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, eligible residents of Mercer County may receive $20 in vouchers good for fresh fruits and vegetables at farmers markets. Mercer County Area Agency on Aging, Inc., is offering the Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program through the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture to encourage older adults to eat more fresh fruit and vegetables produced by local growers as well as to support local growers.
To be eligible, a consumer must be a resident of Mercer County; 60 years or older; and have a gross annual income (including interest, Social Security, wages, etc.) at or below $22,459 for a single person or $30,451 for a couple. Proof of age and residency is required (driver’s license, photo ID, etc.).
A representative may pick up the vouchers for an eligible senior as long as they have a signed and completed proxy form and the consumer’s proof of age and residency. The proxy form is available at any of the Agency’s senior community centers or the administrative office.
Eligible seniors can pick up their vouchers at the following locations at the times listed, while supplies last:
• 9 to 11 a.m. July 31 and Aug. 2 and 9 and 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Aug. 1 and 8 at Grove City Senior Community Center, 301 S. Broad St.
• 1:30 to 3 p.m. Aug. 17 and Sept. 7 and 21 at Greenville Senior Center, 45 Alan Ave.
• 1:30 to 3 p.m. Aug. 2 at Lutheran Village, 100 Chestnut St., Jamestown.
• 1:30 to 3 p.m. Aug. 9 at Greenville House, 9 N. Penn Ave.
• 1:30 to 3 p.m. Aug. 23 at Reynolds VFW, 115 Edgewood Drive.
• 10 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m. daily at MCAAA, Inc., Administrative Office, 133 N. Pitt St.
Proof of age and address are needed. Proxy forms for seniors who need someone else to pick up the forms for them are available at any of the senior centers.
• 9 to 11 a.m. and 1 to 3 p.m. July 30 and Aug. 6 and 13, at Mcquiston Center By The Park - Senior Center, 29 Railroad St. Info: 724-376-3608
• 2 to 4 p.m. Aug. 14 at the Shenango Valley Senior Center, 220 N. Buhl Farm Drive, Hermitage.
• 1:30 to 3 p.m. Aug. 2 at Garden Way Apartments, 2350 Garden Way, Hermitage.
• 1:30 to 3 p.m. Aug. 3 at McDowell Manor, 179 Pearrell St., Sharon.
Information: 1-800-570-6222 or 724-662-6222; or the senior centers, Hermitage, 724-981-7950; Grove City, 724-458-6844; Sandy Lake, 724-376-3608; or Greenville, 724-588-3155.