Fall officially begins this weekend, and there are plenty of autumn activities and events for residents and visitors of all ages.
The lineup in and around Butler and Mercer counties includes festivals, corn mazes, Halloween hauntings, pumpkin fun, and more.
Some of the events are free while others charge admission. Call ahead or check their website or social media for complete details.
Here’s what’s happening:
• Fair Haven Farms, 206 Lee Road, Springfield Township, has a family fun center with food trucks, “Dive for Dollars” skydivers, hay rides, corn maze, gift shop, pumpkins, and farm animals.
It is open noon to 6 p.m. Friday; 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday; and noon to 6 p.m. Sunday through Oct. 28. It will also be open 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Columbus Day, Oct. 8.
Info: Call 412-848-3501 or visit www.fairhavenfarms.net
• Irons Mill Farmstead, 252 Greenfield Road, New Wilmington, offers a “corn cob beach,” corn maze, pumpkin patch, pig races, fireworks, wagon rides, playgrounds, food, and more.
It is open 1 to 7 p.m. Thursday; 1 to 10 p.m. Friday; 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday; and 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday through Oct. 28.
Info: Call 724-946-5455 or visit www.ironsmillfarmstead.com
• Hell’s Hollow Haunt, 340 Bestwick Road, East Lackawannock Township, opens Friday, Sept. 28, and typically runs Friday and Saturday evenings through the end of October.
Info: Call 724-662-1999 or visit www.hellshollowhaunt.com
• The 19th annual Villa Maria Harvest Day is 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 29, at the Villa Maria Farm, 225 Villa Marie Road, Pulaski. This family event is dedicated to honoring the agricultural heritage of the Sisters of the Humility of Mary.
There will be music by The Yurco Boys, hay rides, farm fresh food, baked goods, face painting, children’s activities, educational activities, vendors, a gift basket raffle, the Villa Market Barn, and the Villa’s own Jot the Clown.
Help the sisters to help others by bringing a donation of canned goods.
Info: Call 724-964-8920, ext. 3208, or visit www.humilityofmary.org
• Weekends in October at the Cheeseman Farm, 147 Kennedy Road, Portersville, include a pumpkin patch, petting zoo, haunted hay ride, creepy corn maze, and more.
Info: Call 724-368-3233 or visit cheesemanfarm.com
• The Living Dead Weekend, which celebrates the 50th anniversary of “Night of the Living Dead,” runs Friday, Oct. 5, through Sunday, Oct. 7, on East Main Street in Evans City. Info: Call 206-350-9641 or visit www.thelivingdeadweekend.com
• Olde Town Grove City along with Grove City College host Grove Fest from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 6, in downtown Grove City. Enjoy the GCC homecoming parade, music, beer garden, wine tastings, children’s activities, merchant specials, and more.
Info: Call 724-458-0301 or visit oldetowngrovecity.com
• The Buhl Park Fall Festival is noon to 6 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 6, at the park, 715 Hazen Road, Hermitage. There will be dozens of vendors, food, hay rides, pumpkins, balloons, music, and more.
Info: Visit buhlfarmpark.com or call 724-981-5522.
• The borough of Grove City hosts the 21st annual Grove City Fall Fest 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 13, at Grove City Memorial Park. The event includes the Great Balls of Fall raffle hosted by the Grove City Area Chamber of Commerce, food, vendors, and more.
Info: Call 724-458-6410 or visit shopgrovecity.com
• The Mercer Rotary Club hosts Pumpkin Fest 2018 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 13, on the Courthouse Square in Mercer. There will be vendors, crafts, 5K, pumpkin ball drop, and more.
Info: Call Aaron Sines at 724-977-4994 or visit the club’s Facebook page.
• The Sleepy Hollow Festival is 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 13, in Harmony; it’s held in conjunction with the Zelienople-Harmony Fall Festival. There will be music, trick or treat, scavenger hunt, costume contests, kids’ activities, ghost walks, vendors, and more. Info: Call the Bottlebrush Galley and Center for the Arts, 539 Main St., Harmony, at 724-452-0539 or visit www.bottlebrusharts.com
• Spooky Stories at the Old Stone House, 2865 William Flynn Highway, Slippery Rock, will be held at 6 and 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 13.
Info: Call 724-738-4964 or visit www.oldstonehousepa.org
• The Strand Theater, 119 N. Main St., Zelienople, hosts these events: “Haunted Pittsburgh Virtual Ghost Tour” at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 13, and 4 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 14; and “Witches Brew” at 2 and 7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 20.
Info: Call 724-742-0400 or visit www.thestrandtheater.org
• The Slippery Rock Park Fall Festival is 2 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 14, at Slippery Rock Community Park, 320 N. Main St., Slippery Rock. Enjoy pumpkin carving, balloon animals, face painting, cookie decorating, and more. Pre-registration is required.
Info: Call 724-794-8180 or visit www.slipperyrockpark-rec.org
• The Haunted Trail at ARMCO Park, 341 Centreville Pike, Slippery Rock, is 7:30 to 11 p.m. Friday, Oct. 19, and Saturday, Oct. 20.
Info: Call 724-287-4733 or visit www.armcopark.bcfymca.org
Does your group, organization, or business have a fall event scheduled? Send the information to Allied News for the “Things To Do” section via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax at 724-458-1609, or drop it off in person at 201A Erie St., Grove City. We’ll publish items as space is available.