• Sign up to join this year’s National Audubon Society Christmas Bird Count by visiting audubon.org and checking the map to find a count near you.
The data collected from past years has become one of only two sets of information advising ornithologists and conservation biologists about how the birds of the Americas are faring over time.
Volunteers must make arrangements to participate in advance with the compiler within a count area, but anyone can participate through Jan. 5.
• The Grove City College Observatory is hosting a virtual viewing through a 0.5-meter telescope of the great conjunction between the solar system’s largest planets, Jupiter and Saturn.
On Dec. 21, Jupiter and Saturn will appear so close together that their light will combine to produce a very bright “Christmas star” in the western sky after sunset.
The three-day event will take place shortly after sunset Dec. 20 through 22 and last about an hour. For more information, visit including weather updates, visit the Facebook event on the “Grove City College Physics” page.
• The Grove City Area Chamber of Commerce hosts its annual Eat Out for a Week Raffle. One winner will receive seven $50 gift cards to area restaurants. Tickets are $5 each, five for $20, or 12 for$50. The drawing will be held at 1 p.m. Dec. 18. Tickets can be purchased online at go.eventgroovefundraising.com/eat-out-for-a-week-raffle
• Dr. Jeffrey F. DeSimone is hosting a holiday raffle to benefit the Grove City Area Pet Rescue. Enter to win a Nike duffle bag that includes $50 gift cards for T.J. Maxx, Petco and Old Navy, a portable Alexa device, clothing, and more.
Tickets are $10 each and can be purchased at DeSimone’s offices at 2 E. Maitland Lane, New Castle, or 606 W. Main St., Grove City. The winning ticket will be drawn on Dec. 21. For more information, call either office at 724-658-4700 or 724-458-5300.
• The Sisters of the Humility of Mary will host a virtual celebration of Advent and the Christmas season through Epiphany on Jan. 6. The online celebration, “Sharing Our Hearts and Hope: An Advent and Christmas Journey,” aims to capture the welcoming spirit of the annual Villa Maria nativity display.
The sisters and their extended community will share reflections on the season on humilityofmary.org and on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Several livestream events will soon be announced.
Search for the hashtag #sharingourheartsandhope to find all of the celebration content.