THINGS TO DO
• Hopefield Children’s Complex hosts its Spring Fling and Flying Pigs 5K at 9 a.m. Saturday, May 11, at Grove City Memorial Park. After the race, there will be kids’ activities, ice-cream eating contest, Chinese auction, food, information about local resources, and more. Proceeds benefit the complex.
Info: “Hopefield Children’s Complex” on Facebook.
• Grace Harvest (Church of God of Prophecy), 2396 Leesburg Grove City Road, Springfield Township, hosts a stuffed pork chop dinner from 4 to 6 p.m. Saturday, May 11. Adults are $10, and kids 5 to 12 are $5. For take-out or delivery orders, call 724-734-1171.
• Tower Presbyterian Church, Grove City, hosts a rummage sale from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, May 11.
• Grove City Community Library offers events, programs and services. Registration is required for all programs and events. The upcoming calendar includes:
» The Make a Difference Knitting and Crochet Group will meet at 1:30 p.m. Thursday, May 9. This casual group is open to everyone. Members are working on afghans, washcloths, socks, and more for Mercer County AWARE and Three Rivers Hospice.
» The Spring Scholastic Book Fair runs through May 11 during regular library hours. Volunteers are needed; contact Miss Heather if you’d like to help.
» The Monday Night Book Club for ages 18 and up meets at 6:30 p.m. May 13. This month’s book is “The Kitchen House” by Kathleen Grissom. Copies are available at the front desk.
» The American Girl Doll Club meets monthly for girls in grades first through fifth. Enjoy activities, crafts, food, history and more. Bring a doll of your choice. Meet Kit at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 15.
» Summer reading registration begins Tuesday, May 28. This year’s theme is “A Universe of Stories.” There will be a kickoff pool party featuring the Wieners Gone Wild food truck.
» Moms with babies and toddlers are invited to join a playgroup that meets every Friday morning. Toys will be available. Bring your own snacks.
• The Mercer County League of Women Voters is holding a “Meet the Candidates” event from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday, May 11, at the Community Library of the Shenango Valley, Sharon. Residents can talk to those seeking in office in Mercer County, including common pleas judge, county commissioner, clerk of courts, coroner, district attorney, prothonotary, recorder of deeds, and sheriff.
• The Mercer County Conservation District and Munnell Run Farm host “Secrets of the Medicine Man” from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Monday, May 13, at the Farm’s woodlot, 753 Greenville Road, Coolspring Township. Guest speaker is DCNR Oil Creek State Park’s Environmental Education Specialist Chris Mosebach, who will lead a walk through the Pennsylvania woods to discuss the many Native American uses for the plethora of plants growing in the wild.
The evening will begin in the MRF education building called the “Pig Barn.” The program is free, but registration is required by Friday, May 10, by calling 724-662- 2242.
Info: Visit www.munnellrunfarm.org
STAGE AND THEATER
• The Penn Ohio Young Actors Playhouse will host sign-ups for its summer production, Disney’s “The Little Mermaid Jr.” The group is open to all Mercer County children in kindergarten through 12th grade. All actors are guaranteed a role.
Auditions for principal/speaking roles will be from noon to 2 p.m. Saturday, May 11, and 5 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 15, at the Greenville Public Library. Each child will have to sing a song and read from the script. Those unable to attend an audition can submit a video through the sign-up page.
Rehearsals will be 10 a.m. to noon starting June 10. Production dates are July 11 through 14; the location is yet to be determined. All participants must attend the July 8 rehearsal.
There is a $10 fee due at the first rehearsal; it includes a T-shirt and DVD.
Info and registration: Visit bit.do/POYAP2019