THINGS TO DO
• Shop at Ace Hardware in Mercer through April 4 to help support Mercer Area Library. Round up your purchase at the checkout to make a donation.
• The Stoneboro Presbyterian Church will be making Helen’s Heavenly Doughnuts on April 1. They can be picked up between 7:30 and 10:30 a.m. Flavors are vanilla iced, chocolate iced, maple iced, powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar and mixed.
Advanced orders are appreciated by calling 724-376-2206 before 7 p.m. today, March 31.
• Slippery Rock University’s Student Nonprofit Alliance is hosting a “Hug the Kids” campaign to collect care package items through April 2.
The items are for children in foster care and will be distributed by local nonprofits. Requested items include toothbrushes, toothpaste, travel-size shampoo and lotion, coloring books, crayons, notebooks, pens, pencils, socks, and stuffed animals under six inches.
Those wishing to make donations are asked to supply items including toothbrushes, toothpaste, travel size shampoos and lotions, coloring books, notebooks, crayons, pens and pencils, socks, and stuffed animals no taller than six inches.
Donations can be dropped off at designated bins located in the lobby of Spotts World Culture Building or Room 205 on the SRU campus. Donors also have the option to order items through designated registries via Amazon, Target and Walmart. Purchased products can then be mailed to SNA, c/o Slippery Rock University, Spotts World Culture Building, 110 Central Loop, Room 200, Slippery Rock, PA 16057.
Monetary donations can be made through the Slippery Rock University Foundation, Inc. Visit srufoundation.org/sna.html
• Slippery Rock Volunteer Fire Company and Rescue Team, 162 Elm St., Slippery Rock, serves chicken and fish dinners from 4 to 7 p.m. Fridays during Lent: Now through April 2. Meals are take-out or delivery only.
Adult portions are $10, and meals for kids under eight cost $5. The meal includes fried fish or fried chicken, cheesy potatoes or French fries, cole slaw, dinner roll and dessert. Info: Call 724-794-3817, extension 6.
• A rabies clinic will be held from 9 to 11 a.m. on April 10 at the Wilmington Township (Mercer County) Municipal Building, 35 Auction Road, New Wilmington. The cost is $10 per animal.
For more information, call 724-946-8074.
• Meet the Easter Bunny from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. April 2 at both locations of Grove City Area Federal Credit Union: 1600 S. Center St. Ext., Pine Township, and 1 Credit Union Way, Grove City. Photos will be taken and printed on-site and craft kits will be handed out while supplies last.
• Mercer Area Library’s next virtual book discussion program will focus on “Still Life” by Louise Penny at 6 p.m. April 7. Copies are available at the library. Call 724-662-4233 for more information.
• Jennings Environmental Education Center, Brady Township, hosts a storybook trail: “Habitat Sweet Habitat: Zapo the Jennings Jumping Mouse Looks for a House” from April 2 through 11.
Discover and read the pages of this children’s story along the trail while exploring the outdoors, learning about nature, and sharing in some related activities with your family or pod. This fun, self-guided activity is designed for young children and those young at heart.
The event is free and no registration is required.The story begins on Woodwhisper Trail near the front of the center. The route contains some steps and uneven terrain, but is generally easy. Parts of the route are not stroller friendly. A mask is recommended, as social distancing on the trails during this time may be difficult.
• Slippery Rock University will host sitting U.S. poet laureate Joy Harjo for a special virtual presentation at 5 p.m., April 6. Visit sru.zoom.us to sign up.
Harjo, the internationally renowned performer and writer, will speak as part of a series sponsored by We Stand Together, a national coalition of presidents and chancellors of 14 universities from across the country in bringing forward a message of unity to eradicate discrimination and racism.