THINGS TO DO
• Collage Coffee and Art House, 221 S. Broad St., Grove City, hosts kids’ craft classes every Saturday with a retired Grove City art teacher and stained glass artist. Cost is $2 for ages 2 to 4 with classes at 9 a.m.; and cost is $5 for ages 5 and up with classes at 10 a.m. There are also beginner paint and craft classes for adults on certain afternoons. Register at the coffee shop, or online at collage.coffee/events
• New Visions for Lawrence County hosts its Summer Concert Series at Riverwalk Park, New Castle, starting this Friday, June 21. Concerts are held from 6 to 9 p.m. Fridays including July 5 and 19, and Aug. 9 and 23.
Bring chairs or blankets. Food will be sold, and admission is free. In case of inclement weather, the concerts will be held at The Confluence next to the park.
The Dorals perform this Friday, and there will be a classic car show hosted by the Rapid Tappets Carb Club on East Washington Street.
• The Butler County Symphony Orchestra Summer Concert Series is held at noon Fridays through September at 259 S. Main St., Butler. The concerts set for July 19 and 26 and Aug. 2 and 9 will be held outside at Diamond Park.
Info: Visit www.butlersymphony.org or call 724-283-1402.
• The St. Davids Christian Writers’ Conference will be held on the campus of Grove City College starting today, June 19, through Sunday, June 23. To learn more or to register, visit www.stdavidswriters.com
• Fair Haven Farms, 206 Lee Road, Springfield Township, hosts Family Movie Night on the Barn at dusk Friday, June 21, with “Shrek.” Cost is $7 a person; kids under 2 are free. Snacks and drinks will be sold; outside food and beverages are not permitted. Bring your own chairs and blankets.
• Quality Life Services, 400 Hillcrest Ave., Grove City, hosts a community carnival from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, June 22. Admission is free. There will be a bounce slides and slides, live broadcast with Froggy Radio, games, prizes, a Living Treasures petting zoo, food and craft vendors, and more.
• Lakeview Little League is sponsoring a fundraiser to support Mason, a fellow seventh-grader who has been diagnosed with leukemia and is currently receiving chemo treatments. There will be food, a 50/50 raffle, and Chinese auction at 5 p.m. today, June 19, at the little league field in Stoneboro followed by playoff game at 6 p.m. between two Lakeview teams.
• Barkeyville United Methodist Church hosts a baked potato bar dinner from 4:30 to 6 p.m. Friday, June 21. Meal includes salad, dessert and beverage. Cost is by donation.
• Grove City Community Library offers events, programs and services. Registration is required for all programs and events. The upcoming calendar includes:
» The Lego Build Club meets from 2 to 3 p.m. Thursdays. Bring your own Lego bricks or borrow them from the library.
» Summer reading registration has started, and there are prizes for those who complete the challenge. This year’s theme is “A Universe of Stories.” It is open to all ages for kids through 12th grade. There is also a program for adults.
» “Does Not Compute” computer classes for beginners are being held for adults with little or no computer experience from 8:30 to 9:45 a.m. Thursdays. On June 20, learn about Google Drive.
» The American Girl Doll Club meets monthly for girls in grades first through fifth. Enjoy activities, crafts, food, history and more. Bring a doll of your choice. Enjoy Luciana’s Space Camp at 1 p.m. Monday, June 24; and meet Addy at 1 p.m. Wednesday, July 17.
» The Sci-Fi Book Club for ages 18 and up meets at 5:30 p.m. Monday, June 24. This month’s book is “American Gods” by Neil Gaiman. Copies are available at the front desk.
» Cooking the Books for ages 18 and up meets at 6:30 p.m. Monday, June 24. Choose a recipe to make and share from one of these Mary Engelbreit cookbooks: “You’re Invited” or “Dining Out.” Copies can be made at the library.
» Searching the Sky, a program presented by Jennings Environmental Education Center, will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesday, June 26. Kids of all ages are invited to come and learn about the night sky, planets, constellations, the Northern Lights, new Space Corps, and more. Registration is not required.
» The Kindred Spirits Book Club meets at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, June 27. This month’s book is “The Blessing” by Wanda E. Brunstetter. This club selects novels that incorporate religious and inspirational themes and Christian characters into stories that cover a variety of genres. The stories do not contain profanity, strong violence, or explicit sexual content.
» A paint workshop for kids in grades six through 12 will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday, June 27. The painting will be a “Doctor Who/Van Gogh Mashup.” Cost is $20; pay with cash, or make checks out to “Brandon Cowie.”
» Pub Trivia Night for ages 21 and up is at 6 p.m. Thursday, June 27. Bring a snack to share, and BYOB. The lightning round is “ancient mythology.”
» Free Family Movie Night is 5:30 p.m. Friday, June 28, with “Planet 51.”
Grove City Community Library is at 125 W. Main St. It is open 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday and Friday; 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday; and 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. Summer Saturday hours of 8 a.m. to noon start June 22.
• Join the park naturalists at Presque Isle State Park in Erie for a campfire at 7 p.m. Friday, June 21, at Beach 11. Hear stories about the wildlife that live on and around Presque Isle. Bring a chair or beach towel.
• Moraine State Park, Portersville, hosts a free yoga session from 4 to 5 p.m. Saturday, June 22, with certified instructor Michele Miklos and the park staff. Meet at the Pleasant Valley Day Use Area on the South Shore, and bring a yoga mat or a towel. Info and registration: Email Michele at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Join the Mercer County Conservation District and Munnell Run Farm as they welcome Crawford County Conservation Districts’ Environmental Educator Kathy Uglow for the “Snapping and Chatting Nature Walk” from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Monday, June 24, at the pig barn at the Farm, 753 Greenville Road, Coolspring Township.
Use your cell phones to focus on nature, and enjoy a leisurely walk outdoors. The program is free but registration is required by Friday, June 21, by calling 724-662-2242. Info: Visit www.munnellrunfarm.org
• Leesburg ECO Presbyterian Church, 1831 Perry Highway, Springfield Township, holds its fifth annual Touch a Truck and All Things That Go! event from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, June 22. Info: Call the church at 724-748-4670.
STAGE AND THEATER
• The Franklin Civic Operetta Association presents “Grease” at 7:30 p.m. June 21, 22, 27 and 28, and 2 p.m. June 23 and 29 at the Barrow-Civic Theatre, 1223 Liberty St., Franklin. Tickets are $20 for adults, $18 for seniors and military, and $14 for students and children. There are discounts for groups, families and educators.
Before the June 28 show, Suzanne’s Restaurant in Franklin will host a 50s diner-inspired dinner. The Barrow is selling tickets for the dinner and show. Those attending the June 29 show are encouraged to dress in poodle skirts or leather jackets and gather around Liberty Street for Franklin’s annual Libertyfest Parade, which has the theme of “the happy days of the 1950s.”
“Grease” is rated PG-13 for mild adult humor.
Info and tickets: Visit the theater, call 814-437-3440 or visit barrowtheatre.com/grease