THINGS TO DO
• The Crawford County Historical Society hosts a benefit concert with opera singer Diane Kalinowski at 7 p.m. today, June 8, at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Meadville.
Tickets are $15 and can be purchased at the society at 869 Diamond Park, by calling 814-724-6080 or visiting www.crawfordhistorical.org
• Lawyers, Guns and Money kick off Summer at Bandstand Park in Franklin at 6 p.m. today, June 8. Bring a lawn chair. Info: Call 814-437-1619 or visit www.franklinpa.gov
• Ebenezer Presbyterian Church, 2426 Scrubgrass Road, Wolf Creek Township, hosts the Ellwood City Civic Chorale at 7 p.m. Sunday, June 9.
This is their 65th year of presenting concerts in the area and they have blessed many over the years with their talents and uplifting music.
• The ninth annual Bantam Jeep Heritage Festival runs through Sunday, June 9, at Cooper’s Lake, 205 Currie Road, Worth Township, Butler County. There are trail rides, obstacles, a history exhibit, and vendors. Info: Call 724-256-4050 or visit www.bantamjeepfestival.com
• The Slippery Rock Community Bike Festival will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, June 15, at the North Country Brewing Company’s canning facility at 111 Arrowhead Drive, Slippery Rock Township. There will be food, drinks, basic bike repair help, a bike wash station, adapted bikes, a Growing Together Aquaponics tour, and more. Bring your bike.
• Grove City Community Library offers events, programs and services. Registration is required for all programs and events. The upcoming calendar includes:
» The Junior Writers’ Club for kids in grades four through six meets from 11 a.m. to noon on Monday, June 10. All materials are provided. Remember to bring your notebooks.
» Miss Heather’s Charm School for young ladies in grades six through eight meets at 1 p.m. Monday, June 10, and Wednesday, June 26. The group will be discussing summer projects and classes.
» “Does Not Compute” computer classes for beginners are being held for adults with little or no computer experience from 8:30 to 9:45 a.m. Thursdays. On June 13, learn about using Gmail. On June 20, learn about Google Drive.
» The Make a Difference Knitting and Crochet Group meets at 1:30 p.m. Thursday, June 13. This casual group is open to everyone. Members are working on afghans, washcloths, socks, and more for Mercer County AWARE and Three Rivers Hospice.
Grove City Community Library is at 125 W. Main St. It is open 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday and Friday; 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday; and 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. Summer Saturday hours of 8 a.m. to noon start June 22.
• Lakeview Area Public Library hosts these events and programs:
» Summer Quest, the library’s summer reading program, has started. This year’s theme is “A Universe of Stories.”
» Free programs for children and their families will be held from 10 to 11 a.m. Tuesdays at the park in Sandy Lake, unless otherwise noted. It is geared for elementary school students, but all ages are welcome. Preschoolers must be accompanied by an adult.
These sessions are scheduled:
July 2, outdoor spaces with Chris and Bernie Davis;
July 9, STEM activities with Nancy Keeling;
2 p.m. Saturday, July 13, Adam Swartz puppet show at Community Days in Sandy Lake;
July 16, crafting with Katie Engstrom at the McQuiston Center;
July 23, searching the sky with Jennings Environmental Education Center; and
July 30, Erie Traveling Zoo.
Lakeview Area Public Library is at 3265 S. Main St., Sandy Lake. It is open 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday; 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday; and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Saturday.
Info: Call 724-376-4217, visit lakeviewarealibrary.org or check out “Lakeview Area Public Library” on Facebook.
• Mercer Area Library hosts these programs and events:
» The Penn State Extension Master Gardeners host a presentation about edible plants at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 11. Call the library to register.
» A smartphone class will be held at 11 a.m. Friday, June 14. Learn the basics of using a smartphone. Call the library to register.
» Join the Friends of the Library at 5 p.m. Monday, June 17, and Monday, July 15, to help tidy up the landscaping around the library.
Mercer Area Library is at 110 E. Venango St., Mercer. It is open 9:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. For more information, call 724-662-4233, email email@example.com or visit mercerarealibrary.org
• The Tri-County Country Music Association meets Tuesday, June 11, at the Slippery Rock Township Community Building, 155 Harmony Road. Doors open at 5 p.m. There will be a Father’s Day tureen; bring a casserole, salad or dessert to share. Coffee, water and pop are provided.
The Shalico Band will play country and oldies. Hosts are Pete Watt, president, and Carol Young, secretary/treasurer. Musicians and singers are welcome.
The event is open to the public, and the facility is smoke-free and handicap accessible. There will also be a cake walk and door prizes. Admission is a $5 donation.
If you need a band for your event or have questions, call Pete at 724-352-3118.
• The Butler VA Health Care System is hosting a town hall meeting at 5 p.m. Wednesday, June 12, at the Michael A. Marzano VA Clinic, 295 N. Kerrwood Drive, Suit 110, Hermitage. Veterans and their family members and the public are invited to learn about the MISSION Act, access, budget, performance, and current Butler VA events, and to provide feedback about VA operations.