THINGS TO DO
• The Mercer County Farm Bureau hosts Ag Day at the Mall from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. today, July 20, at Shenango Valley Mall, Hermitage. There will be children’s activities including a pedal tractor pull, face painting, and free ice cream.
Come and meet local farmers, check out farm equipment, and visit with local vendors.
Info: Call Sandy Craft at 814-715-4244.
• The Volant Lions hosts a bus trip to The Meadows Racetrack and Casino on Wednesday, July 24. The Butler Motor Coach leaves the Pine Township Aldi at 8:30 a.m., and returns at 6 p.m. The $35 cost includes $25 of free play.
Info and reservations: Call Larry Warner at 724-699-4375.
• The fifth annual West PA Book Festival will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. today, July 20, at Mercer High School. There will be local authors, literacy activities for kids, prize drawings, and more. Admission is free.
Info: Visit westpabookfestival.com
• The Springfield Township Volunteer Fire Department hosts a Paint and Snack fundraiser for kids from noon to 3 p.m. today, July 20, at the fire station, 404 Old Ash Road.
Cost is $25 with $10 going toward the fire department; the rest of the money covers instruction and supplies from Steele’s Brushes and Lushes, East Brady.
There will be fire truck tours, food, goodie bags, and a chance to learn more about the fire department. Funds will go toward equipment purchases. Kids ages 14 and up can register for the department’s junior program.
• The newly-formed Armory of the Arts is hosting its inaugural fundraising event from 6 to 10 p.m. tonight, July 20, at 49 S. Sharpsville Ave., Sharon. The interactive art show will include work by local artists, music, demonstrations, body painting, food by Lulu Beans Cafe, and more.
Tickets are $25, which includes one drink ticket and hors d’oeuvres. There will be a cash bar. All proceeds will fund large-scale art initiatives in downtown Sharon.
The Armory of the Arts is being built in the former Julia F. Buhl Girls Club. The mission of the Armory is to provide a visionary space for new and existing valley artists, and to create a fundraising stream that will facilitate more local valley art initiatives.
Tickets are available for purchase at Lulu Beans Cafe or online at Color2019.eventbright.com
• The Children’s Aid Society of Mercer County is sponsoring the ice cream social that is part of the Mercer Community Band Courthouse Square concert from 6 to 9 p.m. Friday, July 26. It is coordinated by the Friends of Children’s Aid Society to raise money for programs. Cake, ice cream and pie will be sold.
• Grove City Community Library offers events, programs and services. Registration is required for all programs and events. The upcoming calendar includes:
» A craft day for kids in grades six through 12 will be held at 1 p.m. Monday, July 22. Make galaxy shoes, bookmarks and coasters. Bring a cheap pair of white canvas tennis shoes. All other supplies will be provided.
» The Sci-Fi Book Club for ages 18 and up meets at 5:30 p.m. Monday, July 22. This month’s book is “The Gunslinger” by Stephen King.
» Cooking the Books for ages 18 and up meets at 6:30 p.m. Monday, July 22. This month’s book the “Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book.” Pick a recipe to make and share with the group. Free copies can be made at the library.
» The Kindred Spirits Book Club meets at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, July 25. This month’s book is “The Fragment” by Davis Bunn. This club selects novels that incorporate religious and inspirational themes and Christian characters into stories that cover a variety of genres. The stories do not contain profanity, strong violence, or explicit sexual content.
» The Middle School Lunch Bunch Book Club for grades six through eight meets at 1 p.m. Thursday, July 25. This month’s book is “Artemis Fowl” by Eoin Colfer. Bring a lunch.
» Pub Trivia Night for ages 21 and up meets at 6 p.m. Thursday, July 25. Bring a snack to share, and BYOB. The Lightning Round is “Vikings.”
» A free movie will be shown on Tuesday, July 30, at the Guthrie Theatre in Grove City for the summer reading program. Doors open at 9:30 a.m., and “Monsters vs. Aliens” starts at 10 a.m.
» The Friends of the Library annual used book sale will be held Monday, Aug. 5, through Friday, Aug. 16. Early bird admission is 9 to 10 a.m. Aug. 5; entry fee is $5.
From Aug. 5 to 10, books and materials will range in price from 25 cents to $2. From Aug. 12 to 14, buy a bag for $5; and on Aug. 15 and 16, buy a bag for $1.
Grove City Community Library is at 125 W. Main St. It is open 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday and Friday; 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday; and 8 a.m. to noon Saturday.
• Lakeview Area Public Library hosts these events and programs:
» Free programs for children and their families will be held from 10 to 11 a.m. Tuesdays at the park in Sandy Lake. It is geared for elementary school students, but all ages are welcome. Preschoolers must be accompanied by an adult.
These sessions have been set: July 23, searching the sky with Jennings Environmental Education Center; and July 30, Erie Traveling Zoo.
» Explore the adventures of Artemis Fowl with Pat Reash at 1 p.m. Fridays July 26 and Aug. 2 at the library. This is for kids in grades six through 12. The program concludes with a free movie night when the film premieres later this summer. Registration is required.
Lakeview Area Public Library is at 3265 S. Main St., Sandy Lake. It is open 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday; 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday; and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Saturday. Info: Call 724-376-4217, visit lakeviewarealibrary.org or check out “Lakeview Area Public Library” on Facebook.
• Mercer Area Library hosts these programs and events:
» Get a group together and come stop a jewel heist in the library’s new Escape Room. Sessions take place at scheduled times from July 23 to 26. Registration is required.
» The Friends of the Library is holding a basket raffle fundraiser. Tickets are two for $1, or 12 for $5, and the winners will be chosen on Aug. 9.
» The Mercer Area Library Quilt Club, assisted by The Gallery, meets at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 23. This club is free and open to all skill levels.
» Master Gardener Laura will present “Trees for Your Yard” at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 30. Learn about the benefits of trees, site considerations and varieties. Call the library to register.
» Magician Steve will present a space-themed magic show at 11 a.m. Wednesday, July 31. Children should bring their completed reading logs for a prize.
» The book discussion group meets at 6 p.m. Wednesday, July 31. This month’s book is “The Other Einstein” by Marie Benedict. Copies are available at the circulation desk.
Mercer Area Library is at 110 E. Venango St., Mercer. It is open 9:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Info: 724-662-4233