THINGS TO DO
• Fredonia artist Kate Turek-Frissora had two large acrylic abstract paintings accepted at the 37th Women Artists: A Celebration Art Show at the YWCA in Youngstown, one block from Youngstown State University at 25 W. Rayen Ave. Show is open to the public from Saturday through July 25. Hours are noon to 4 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday; closed July 4.
• Vitalant is hosting a community blood drive from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday, July 9, in the activity room at Grove Manor, 435 N. Broad St., Grove City. Donors will receive a fandana – a multi-purpose accessory.
To schedule an appointment, visit vitalant.org and click on the “donate” button; call 877-25-VITAL (84825) or download the Vitalant-Pittsburgh smartphone mobile app. Use group code W456 to register for this drive. Walk-ins also welcome.
There is a critical need for platelets and type O blood donations, though all blood types are accepted.
• The Volant Lions hosts a bus trip to The Meadows Racetrack and Casino on Wednesday, July 24. The Butler Motor Coach leaves the Pine Township Aldi at 8:30 a.m., and returns at 6 p.m. Cost is $35, which includes $25 of free play.
Info and reservations: Call Larry Warner at 724-699-4375.
• Collage Coffee and Art House, 221 S. Broad St., Grove City, hosts kids’ craft classes every Saturday with a retired Grove City art teacher and stained glass artist. Cost is $2 for ages 2 to 4 with classes at 9 a.m. that include Glitzy Butterfly, Fantasy Seashells, Fish in a Bowl, and Play with Clay
The cost is $5 for ages 5 and up with classes at 10 a.m. that include Painted Stone Birds, Beach Terrarium, Sand Art in a Jar, and Play with Clay. Register at the coffee shop, or online at collage.coffee/events
• The Mercer Community Band hosts its annual summer concert series on Friday nights through Aug. 9 at the Mercer Courthouse Square. Warmup music and ice cream social starts at 6 p.m. followed by the main act at 7:30 p.m. Bring a lawn chair or blanket. In case of inclement weather, concerts will be held at the Mercer High School auditorium, 545 W. Butler St., Mercer.
Info: Visit “Mercer Community Band” on Facebook or call 724-699-9124.
• New Visions for Lawrence County hosts its Summer Concert Series at Riverwalk Park, New Castle. Concerts are held from 6 to 9 p.m. Fridays including July 5 and 19, and Aug. 9 and 23.
Bring chairs or blankets. Food will be sold, and admission is free. In case of inclement weather, the concerts will be held at The Confluence next to the park.
FAIRS AND FESTIVALS
• The 55th annual Mercer County Grange Fair will be held Saturday, July 6, through Saturday, July 13, at the fairgrounds, 35 Grange Fair Drive, Findley Township. Enjoy rides, food, entertainment, animals, exhibits, contests, tractor pulls, games, and more.
Info: Visit www.mercercountygrangefair.net
• The Big Butler Fair will be held 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. through Saturday, July 6, at the fairgrounds, 1127 New Castle Road, Prospect. Considered the largest fair in western Pennsylvania, the annual event features fireworks, the midway, games, demo derbies, concerts, truck pulls, and more.
Info: Call 724-865-2400 or visit www.bigbutlerfair.com
• The Firecracker 5K and 1-Mile will be held on Thursday, July 4, at Zelienople Community Park, 402 E. Beaver St., Zelienople. Registration opens at 7 a.m., race begins at 8 a.m. Proceeds benefit the park, and the race will be followed by food and a parade. Info and registration: Call 724-321-4265 or visit www.getfitfamilies.com
• The USA Triathlon Splash ‘n Dash will be held at 8 a.m. Sunday, July 7, at Zelienople Community Park, 402 E. Beaver St., Zelienople. This swim and run event is for ages 3 to 18, and proceeds benefit the park. Info and registration: Call 724-321-4265 or visit www.getfitfamilies.com
• The City of Franklin, Franklin Fine Arts Council and the Edward & Jessie Peters Charitable Trust announce the annual week of celebrations to mark the Fourth of July. Events continue for the next week with “Grease” at the Barrow-Civic Theatre, a bicycle rodeo for kids, music, Children’s Penny Carnival, Libertyfest Day, and more. Things wrap up on Thursday, July 4, with fireworks at dusk at Riverfront Park.
Info: www.franklinpa.gov or call 814-437-1619.
• St. Joseph’s 80th annual Fourth of July Celebration will be held from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday on the parish grounds, 112 Rectory Lane, Lucinda, Pa. There will be food, games, quilt tent, entertainment, grand prize drawing worth over $10,000 in cash and prizes, and more.
As a post-festival finale, St. Joseph’s Liberty 5K Run/Walk will be held at 9 a.m. Saturday, July 6, at the historic Lucinda Train Station, and an 80th Anniversary Square Dance will be held from 8 to 11 p.m. July 6 at St. Joseph Parish Hall.
Info: Visit www.stjoseph-stmichaelparishes.org or the event page on Facebook, or call 814-226-7288.
• McConnells Mill State Park, Portersville, hosts a Salamander Safari from 4 to 5:30 p.m. Saturday, July 6. Meet at the Hells Hollow Trail parking lot, dress for the weather, bring water, and wear sturdy shoes. Explore Hell Run Creek for salamanders and other critters.
• Join the Mercer County Conservation District from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Friday, July 12, as they present outdoor survival hacks with naturalist Chris Mosebach. Learn how to be a “MacGyver of the forest” during this indoor program, which will be held at the pig barn at Munnell Run Farm, Coolspring Township.
The fee is $10 a person, and registration is due by today, July 3, by calling 724-662-2242 or visiting the Munnell Run Farm Facebook page.
• East Main Presbyterian Church, 120 E. Main St., Grove City City, hosts free Open Door Community Dinners from 5 to 6 p.m. every other Wednesday in Fellowship Hall. Dinners will not be held when special church events are scheduled. The next dinner is set for July 3.
The entrance is on Poplar Street, and the handicap entrance is off the alley on the other side of the hall. A free-will offering will be accepted.
• The Mercer Art Commission is teaming up with Lugnut Customs out of Stoneboro for a flag run as part of Lugnut’s Biker Appreciation Day, Sunday, July 7. Registration is 10 a.m. to noon at Lugnut Customs, 2294 Mercer Road. The run ends at 3 p.m. Cost is $10 for drivers, and $5 for passengers.
There will be free hot dogs and hugs, a 50/50 raffle, bike wash, and more.
Info: Visit www.lugnutcustoms.com
• The Mercer Art Commission hosts its fifth annual Brews Bands and Bikes event at 11 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 3, on Courthouse Square in Mercer. Rain date is Aug. 10.
There will be a vintage bike show, a “Miss Mercer” contest with Kelvis Pinup, music from Bishop Road and FX Project, and food. The featured guest is Vicki Scheller with her 1941 WL Harley-Davidson.
Info: Visit “The Mercer Art Commission” on Facebook, or email Michael Craig at firstname.lastname@example.org