THINGS TO DO
• The public is welcome to play bingo every Thursday at John R. Huff American Legion Post 220, 1946 Mercer Grove City Road, Pine Township. Doors open at 5 p.m.; early birds play at 6:30 p.m.; and regular play is 7 p.m. The building is handicap accessible and non-smoking. The kitchen will be open.
• The Butler County Symphony Orchestra will perform along with the silent film “Safety Last!” at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, March 2, at Butler Intermediate High School. There will be a pre-concert talk at 6:30 p.m. with conductor Matthew Kraemer.
“Safety Last!” is a 1923 Harold Lloyd film that charts the haphazard adventures of a country boy heading to the big city to seek success. The film features one of the most enduring images in all of cinema, when the lead character is found hanging from the hands of a clock high above the street.
Tickets are $25 per adult, and $8 per student. For tickets or more information, visit www.butlersymphony.org
• Fredonia Presbyterian Church, Water Street, hosts a braised steak dinner from 5 to 6:30 p.m. today, Feb. 27. Cost is $9 for adults, and $5 for children. Info: Call 724-475-2186.
• Slippery Rock Community Library hosts these programs and events:
» Geri-Fit Senior Strength Training Classes will be held from 11:15 a.m. to noon on Mondays and Thursdays. Pre-registration is required.
» There will be a basic sewing class on March 2 and 16.
» Slippery Rock University students will be available at the library as Homework Helpers. SRU students will be matched local school students who need a little extra help.
Slippery Rock Community Library is at 465 N. Main St., Slippery Rock. New expanded hours are 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturday. Info: Call 724-738-9179 or visit www.slipperyrocklibrary.com
• Lakeview Area Public Library hosts these events:
» A Monthly fundraiser. “Soup-er Sunday Sales,” will be held the first Sunday of the month from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Masonic building on Main Street in Sandy Lake. Quarts of homemade soup will be sold plus desserts.
Quarts of soup are $6.50, which includes bread or rolls. Pre-order soup by visiting the library, 3265 S. Main St., Sandy Lake, during regular hours: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday; 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday; and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday.
» Preschoolers’ Story Time is 10:30 a.m. on Fridays at the library. Kids can enjoy playtime, story time with Marilyn Snyder, and group time.
» Now through April 1, you can help raise money for the library by eating at Primanti Bros. in Springfield Township through the restaurant’s Hometown Edge Program. They will donate 10 percent of the cost of meals bought by customers with Hometown Edge cards, which are free from the library or its volunteers. If you forget your card, tell your server that you’re supporting Team C.
Lakeview Area Public Library is at 3265 S. Main St., Sandy Lake. It is open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday and Friday, and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The library closes when Lakeview schools close for inclement weather. Saturday. Info: Call 724-376-4217, visit lakeviewarealibrary.org or check out “Lakeview Area Public Library” on Facebook.
• Take a walk through history and discover how sap taken from a maple tree becomes syrup at Jennings Environmental Education Center, Brady Township, at 3 p.m. Sunday, March 3. This annual, free program is open to the public. Registration is not required.