By Monica Pryts/Staff Writer
BUTLER, MERCER COUNTIES —
There were nine gas/oil drilling violations in the area as well as permits approved in January, and part of December, according to a number of sources that list local records.
The following data includes Butler, Lawrence, Mercer and Venango counties, and the information came from the state Department of Environmental Protection website, and also SkyTruth.
The nonprofit SkyTruth gathers information from DEP records and issues free alerts to subscribers via email that list drilling activities and violations as well as “daily updates of environmentally significant incidents by geographical area.” (http://alerts.skytruth.org/)
DEP issued these violations in January in the four counties:
• Six in Mercer County:
Five to Hilcorp - one on Jan. 15 for an environmental, health and safety violation for failure to design and construct unconventional well site to prevent spills to the ground surface and off well site at a drill site in Jefferson Township; three for failure to notify DEP 24 hours prior to cementing casing strings, pressure testing of production casing, stimulation of well or plugging of an unconventional well at drill sites in Jefferson Township on Jan. 2, 9 and 22; one on Jan. 22 for failure to submit well record/completion report at a drill site in Lackawannock Township.
One to Chevron Appalachia LLC on Jan. 9 for failure to notify DEP 24 hours prior to cementing casing strings, pressure testing of production casing, stimulation of well or plugging of an unconventional well at a drill site in Jefferson Township;
• Two in Venango County, both to Catalyst Energy Inc.: One on Dec. 23 for failure to achieve permanent stabilization of earth disturbance activity at a drill site in Cranberry Township; and one on Jan. 22 for inadequate containment of oil tank at a drill site in Pinegrove Township.
• One in Lawrence County to Hilcorp Energy Co. on Jan. 13 for failure to submit a well record/completion report at a drill site in Pulaski Township.
In addition, inadequate, insufficient, and/or improperly installed cement led to an environmental health and safety violation filed on Jan. 31 against Old Glory Energy LLC in Perry Township, Clarion County.
• In Butler County: Permits for two gas wells in Oakland Township to Em Energy PA LLC on the Ursa Minor property; 11 gas well permits in Middlesex Township to Re Gas Dev LLC on the Ferree property; two gas well permits in Clinton Township to Range Resources Appalachia LLC on the Goldscheitter property; two gas well permits in Winfield Township to Redmill Drilling on the Klabnik property; three gas well permits in Connoquenessing Township to Re Gas Dev on the Shipley property; one oil well permit in Concord Township to US Energy Exploration Corp. on the Dayen property; and one oil well permit in Concord Township to US Energy Exploration Corp. on the Kimicata property.
• In Lawrence County: One combined gas and oil permit in Mahoning Township to Hilcorp on the Ambrosia property; three combined permits in Mahoning Township to Hilcorp on the Leeper property.
• In Mercer County: A gas well permit in Pymatuning Township to Hilcorp on the Drake property.
• In Venango County: An oil well permit in Cranberry Township to Vista Opr Inc. on the Masters property; six oil well permits in Cranberry Township to Catalyst Energy Inc. on the Deep Hollow property; and a gas well permit in Smith Township to Range Resources Appalachia on the Sasso Leonard property.
Published Feb. 5, 2014, in Allied News. Pick up a copy at 201 A Erie St., Grove City.