Happy New Year to everyone! Did you make a New Year's resolution? I did but I'm not telling what it is; in case I don't do it then nobody will know.
As you know, Emmy Lou Holtz has retired from writing this column after 30-plus years; she has done a great job and I will do my best to follow in her footsteps.
On a personal note, I hope she enjoys her retirement.
Thank you, Emmy Lou, for all your writings.
I am Brenda Bole (McCoy) and am going to be the Harrisville columnist for the Allied News. A lot of you know me, and some of you may not.
I have lived in Harrisville going on 30 years this July, have served on the town council for about 15 years and I have been doing the Harrisville Community Days for more than 16 years.
I have a son, Christopher Rodemoyer, and I also have a granddaughter, Isabelle.
The Jan. 3 Harrisville council meeting
Mayor Jere Donovan swore in elected officials Joe Lowers, Heather Krenn, and Brenda Bole.
There was an election of council officers which named Joe Lowers as president and Denny Blom as vice president.
Other council members are Jonathan Crighton, Bob Hovis and Frank Sabin.
It was discussed that council hire Rachel McQuiston as office clerk to help in the borough office.
In other business:
▪ The Harrisville Park main entrance by the cemetery will be closed during the winter season.
▪ Jonathan Crighton mentioned that sign up for T-ball, little League and Pony will be at 6 p.m. Jan 23 at Harmer Elementary School.
▪ New sidewalks are going in on North Main Street and East and West on 58.
▪ If anyone wants to rent a pavilion at the park this year, please call the borough office between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Tuesday or Thursday at 724-735-2222
▪ Please shovel your sidewalks when snow falls.
▪ Council meeting dates for 2012 are: Feb. 6, March 5, April 2, May 7, June 4, July 2, August 6, Sept. 4 and Oct. 1, Nov. 5 and Dec. 3.
Meetings start at 7 p.m. and are open to everyone.
▪ If anyone needs something addressed, they can call the borough office to be put on the agenda.